McConnel Family Properties & Homes
Cressbrook, Toogoolawah – settled by D.C. McConnel on 15 July 1841 and now run by 5th generation descendant, Christopher David McConnel.
Auburn Station, near Chinchilla – bought by J.H. McConnel & Son in 1909, sold by McConnel & Kirk Pty Ltd in 1963 due to closer settlement and the inability to maintain ownership by the company (as dictated by State law).
Boondoomba, near Murgon – bought by D.C. McConnel & Sons in the mid 1880’s and managed by Edward (Ned) McConnel.
Braceborough, Balfe’s Creek near Charters Towers – bought by Edgar Cannon McConnel in 1912 and sold in the mid 1940′s.
Bulimba House, Brisbane – Bulimba farm was established by D.C. McConnel in 1849, and his home, Bulimba House was the first stone house in Brisbane.
Caboonbah, near Somerset Dam – originally a part of “Cressbrook”, J.H. McConnel swapped this land for that of ‘Mt. Stanley’ upon the marriage of his sister Katharine to Henry Plantagenet Somerset. J.H. McConnel undertook this swap as his mother, Mary, did not want her daughter Katharine living too far away from Cressbrook.
Durundur Station – bought from the Archer Brothers by D.C. McConnel and his brother John in 1851. John maintained exclusive rights at Durundar following his break in partnership with David until 1867. Durundur was then owned by Henry Conwell Wood until resumption of the land by the State in 1877 for the establishment of the township of Woodford.
Glenhaughton, Taroom – bought by D.C. McConnel & Sons in 1881 from the Hayleys. It was sold by McConnel & Kirk Pty Ltd in 1979, after 98 years of ownership.
Marshlands, near Proston – bought by D.C. McConnel & Sons in the mid 1880’s and run by Edward (Ned) McConnel.
Moorabool, Toogoolawah – a part of “Cressbrook” bought by Bevis Gerald White upon his marriage to Mary Elspeth McConnel. Moorabool was sold by Gerald following Elspeth’s death in 1956.
Moura, north of Glenhaughton near Taroom – owned by D.C. McConnel & Sons from the mid 1880’s and sold around 1901 due to the drought.
Mt. Marlow, near Blackall on the Barcoo River – bought by D.C. McConnel & Sons around mid to late 1870’s and sold within 18 months.
Mt. Stanley – originally owned by the Somerset family and at a time, in under partnership by J.H. McConnel and Henry Plantagenet Somerset. Upon the marriage of J.H. McConnel’s sister, Katharine, to Henry Somerset, J.H. McConnel swapped a part of Cressbrook (now known as Caboonbah), for the land at Mt Stanley. J.H. McConnel undertook this swap as his mother, Mary, did not want her daughter Katharine living too far away from Cressbrook.
Shafston House, Brisbane – owned by Mrs. J.H. (Madge) McConnel.
Witton Manor, Ipswich – built by D.C. McConnel in 1872 and sold by Mrs. D.C. McConnel in 1878.